Bicycle Transportation Alternatives
- Sept 2, 2005: Applied for $1.5 million in federal funding through CAMPO to build first 2 miles of bikeway connecting campus to city bikeway, bike lanes, and pathways.
- May 25, 2006: Auxiliary Services begins expansion into support of bicycling onto and within campus as a transportation alternative with the installation of the first five bus bicycle racks on the intercity buses.
- June 12, 2006: Texas State is awarded $1.5 million in STP-MM (Metropolitan Mobility)
- Sept 2006: Space is set aside in Pleasant Street garage remodel for a permanent bicycle repair facility and covered bicycle storage.
- Oct 17, 2006: Texas State receives funding contract for bikeway
- Dec 2006: Auxiliary Services applies for and receives campus space to begin bicycle co-op in garage at the corner of Vista and Academy; receives first delivery of abandoned bicycle from UPD for Bicycle Co-op program use.
- Jan 4, 2007: Ordered basic bicycle tools; acquired surplus equipment; began disassembly of bicycles at new Co-op location.
- Jan 24, 2007: Review progress of bicycle promotion and co-op development with ESC. Set first meeting to develop basic framework for opening up co-op for regular hours.
- Jan 26, 2007: Transportation and Parking Committee scheduled to review and approve the portion of Campus Master Plan bikeway route awarded in the STP-MM grant.
- February 8, 2007: Kickoff of Bobcat Bicycle Co-op at 5:30 p.m. in the LBJ Student Center, room 3-12.1
- May 13, 2008: Funds obligated for STM-MM grant, planning and development of first 2 miles of campus bikeway may begin.
- Dec 1, 2008: Original bike co-op closed doors to pack-up and begin moving to new bike co-op location.
- Jan 20, 2009, (tentative): New bike co-op to open in the first floor of the Pecos building, (behind the music building, just off of Sessom Dr.). New location is over twice as large as original location; is much closer to central campus; will have 3 times as many work stations for repair; and allows for future expansion.
- Feb 9, 2009: Bike Cave opens new co-op location in room 100 of the Pecos building, increasing work and storage space by 300%. New location includes additional tools, storage, and work stations for students, faculty and staff with a location just one block off the primary bus hub on campus.
- Summer 2009: The Bike Cave staff reconditioned and sold over 50 bicycles during the summer!
- Aug 31 - September 4, 2009: Offered first major sale of reconditioned bicycle stock to coincide with the beginning Fall 2009. 24 reconditioned bicycles were put in the hands of Texas State students.